Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Weddings...the money market

While wedding planning I have become slightly discussed with the wedding industry. There are an amazing amount of options from everything you could possibly ever want for your wedding. In addition "traditions" I believe were made up by some wedding planner, teamed with businesses. Why do I have to invite everyone, register at five stores, cut a cake, have a cake, have a book, make everyone wear tuxes, put flowers on everyone, have food, have a beautiful reception, have a dinner or lunch in, decorate every table, have a wedding video, etc. Sure some of it is nice and I really do love planning weddings, just not mine. I do find it crazy though that people can spend up wards of $50,000 on a wedding, I would rather put a down payment on a house.

My advice for people engaged, know what you want, question the "traditions" and don't get carried away with the stupid things. Have fun, listen to peoples suggestions but don't fret over them, remind everyone that yes it is your day, lastly don't give into the emotional marketing done by majority of the wedding industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment