Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Social Media

While attending the Public Relations Conference a gentlemen spoke about the importance on social media. I couldn't agree with him more that it is important in this day in age when our media outlets are changing constantly, we need to keep up on what is new. However when opening my own personal twitter I have found it to be slightly annoying, and have now limited my friends down to three. I can see the purpose of twitter, having fast news, knowing what is going on, getting the word out to everyone you know or to market for free.

My question today is that is this another fad? When Myspace first came out it was a big deal and stayed that way for many years until Facebook came along and became the newer and better thing. As a personal Facebook user I enjoy it, I think it serves a good purpose but I am not a junky. When I got engaged and didn't change my status on Facebook all of my friends thought the world had ended, precisely the reason why I didn't, to remind everyone that it's okay there are still these things call face to face interaction. I believe we should all try it a little more. Anyways, Facebook is still growing, but may be loosing a little of its edge with all these new social networking outlets. Twitter could become the exact same thing, twenty years from now our kids might laugh at us for our social networking. So should we really be putting in all our time and effort into these outlets? Or should we understand them, let them do their own thing and wait for them to die off?

As for now, I will keep my twitter and my three friends. When/If I find it to be completely useful I will use it more. In the mean time, I will keep looking into more social networking outlets to stay informed in our media world.

No comments:

Post a Comment